Tuesday, August 10, 2004

First Real Post

Wow, I have been a big slacker over the past 8 months....But I guess, now that I have some more free time I will have some more time to post.

Let's see, I have been playing lots of ultimate, in March, Geofford and I with 7 other crazy people decided to go play at an outdoor tournament in Hamilton called Divine Nines. This tournament is 5-2 tournament, where you only bring 9 players. It was cold and rainy, but a lot of fun. Other than touring with Seven, Geofford and I also went to Parlee Beach, NB to play in the Parlee Beach Tournament. I could see how the tournament was fun despite getting kicked out of our campsite Saturday morning, the pouring rain, the cold, the lack of a party, the pouring rain, the cold, and the insanely long drive. BNG and the Swamp Donkeys was a fun, spirited team, and I hope they invite me back next year so at least I can experience the party that everyone has been telling me so much about.


Since April, I have been quite busy with Pat, and Steph planning and preparing for our new ultimate team Seven which is an OCUA sponsored Mixed (aka Coed) team. We have travelled to a few tournaments (TUT, Layout for Life, Gender Blender, Northern Flights, Comedy of Errors, Coed Jamboree) and are gearing up for Nationals in Vancouver. At all of the tournaments that we competed at so far, we have either kept our seed or beat it, so that is pretty good for a first year team.

Let's see, besides Ultimate, this summer has been mostly about weddings. I was invited to Sonia and Andy's wedding on June 19, but was unable to attend due to it being a tournament weekend. I was able to make the pre-wedding BBQ and Shawn's house where the boys roasted a lamb which was very tasty, and I was able to see the gang from Waterloo. I was a bridesmaid in Waleed and Kathy's wedding on July 3. There should be some pictures for the wedding on their website soon, otherwise you can see their lovely diving pictures. It was a beautiful outdoor wedding in Waleed's backyard followed by a chinese dinner downtown. I also attended John and Erin's beautiful outdoor wedding our her parent's farm near Tillsonburg. It was an amazing setting and it was really nice to see all of the Waterloo people.

I guess seeing all of my University friends really inspired me as I am returning to school, a different one though to study a different degree. I will be studying at Ottawa U for my Master's in Human Kinetics starting in September. This means that I will be ending my career here at Alcatel earlier than anticipated. It has been a fun three years here, and I have met a ton of awesome people - but I truely believe that this is the career path for me. So it will be a day of mixed emotions when I leave Alcatel on August 12 to begin a new chapter in my life.

Wish me luck at Nationals!

No comments: