Friday, September 10, 2004

A New Chapter...

Now that I am back in school, I feel that I should post more on my blog :) Well, I am supposed to be doing homework, but as usual I am procrastinating, so I figured I might as well do something somewhat useful by updating my blog.

Hmm, let's see what I have done since I have returned from Vancouver...

The first week back I basically slothed around my apartment and my parent's house. There was one day where I went to Kanata to have lunch at the Texas Chophouse with my old co-workers (it was actually my good-bye lunch, but due to vacations this was the best time to have it). It was nice seeing everyone again, they even gave me presents which I didn't expect. I received a wonderful pink Bratz backpack with a non-electronic PDA (aka pad of paper) with extra memory (aka extra pink sticky notes), an assortment of stylii (??what is the plural of stylus?? - aka pencil crayons), a PDA stylus holder (aka Barbie pencil case), and a gift certificate to buy some clothes at American Eagle. I was very surpised to get these gifts and was a little sad when I had to say good-bye to them. There is a chance that I will go back to Alcatel for a short contracting stint if they need people and it fits into my schedule. It would be nice to get the extra cash and see all of the old gang again, so who knows...

During the weekend, on the Saturday we (Amy, Kelly, Nadine and I - the bridesmaids) hosted Shanna's bridal shower which was a lot of fun. I got to see some people that I haven't seen in years too, so that was quite nice. It was a lot of fun planning her shower and helping to host it. I can't wait until the stagette as well, that should also be quite entertaining. On the Sunday, I spent most of the day at UPI watching or playing Ultimate (surprise, surprise). It was Wednesday Playoffs and we couldn't have worse weather. At one point in time, the rain was falling so hard that it was difficult to see the disc. Fortunately we (GYA) won the first game over Rainbow Trout and were able to go on to the Consolation Final for Tier 5 (game for 5th place). We had to wait out the rain and by this time were cold, hungry, and thirsty - the winner of this consolation final won 14 beer tickets (which could also be redeemed for food!) so we offered to split the beer tickets with the other team, which seemed smart for us because we only had 7 players. The other team decided that they would rather play, so we went out and played and beat them 15-2. At half-time, their cheer was asking us if they could still split the beer tickets....what do you think our answer was? So it was nice sitting down with some beer and some food watching the Tier 1 finals, which was quite entertaining.

For the rest of the week, I spent more time doing nothing - watching a lot of TLC - I'm not sure what I am going to do when I move - with less TV, I will have to do more homework...which I guess will be good.

During the long weekend, Geofford and I travelled to the Georgian Bay to spend time with his family. We stayed with his Mom and Dad at their house right on the bay. This was to be my first time at their house when there wasn't snow on the ground, the bay wasn't frozen, and it wasn't pouring rain. The weather definitly did not disappoint and I was able to spend most of every day out on the beach. It was nice because everyday the water was a little bit different - so I was able to do different things. I even played in a kayak for this first time, which was quite fun. As usual the food was amazing and there was a filling Turkey dinner at the Seaborn cottage next door on the Saturday night.

When we returned home on Monday, reality set in. I was to begin school the next day. My first day of school for my Masters program was September 7th. That was almost 3 years to do the day that I started my first full time job (September 5th, 2001). I definitly felt a little bit out of it as most of the people in my classes had some sort of human kinetics, kinesiology or physical education educational background. All I had was an interest in sports and an engineering degree.

As it turns out, my classmates are a lot of fun, and despite the heavy workload, I'm thinking that we will get along great and have a lot of fun along the way.


No comments: