Wednesday, December 01, 2004

It's Snowing!

It's snowing today, which makes me very happy :) Although I got very wet from the snow on my walk to school and I was dripping because it was such a wet snow, I'm happy because it makes it a lot prettier outside and it means that I might be able to go boarding soon. It also puts me in the Christmas spirit (although you'd think taking Santa Claus pictures at the mall would also do that, but it doesn't feel like Christmas until the first snowfall).

I guess the snow this morning put me in a better mood because the past two days haven't been great. Monday was the day that Shanna moved to California with her husband Leigh. Although Shan and I don't talk every day or even every week, she's someone that has known me forever (well at least since we were 8, which is almost 20 years now...) so it's hard whenever your friends move away. But when they do, you realize how much you took for granted their presence. I felt the same way when Rachel moved to Guelph, which wasn't that far away, so I was still able to visit, once in a while. Now that she is out in Thunder Bay, it is even farther to go for a visit. But in the end, it makes our time together that much more special. I can't wait to see both of them in February at Rachel's wedding, which should be a lot of fun.

Tuesday was rough because it felt like we were living a police state downtown. I didn't have class until the afternoon, but I kind of wish that I did, because then I wouldn't have had to walk through one of the Bush protest rallies. There were people with placards and people were shouting. There were media filming the event, and there were police officers everywhere. All I wanted to do was get to school for my class. But I guess the shouting and hooplah drowned out the helicoptors, as I only noticed those on my walk home. The streets had emptied out (although the buses seemed to have problems and were quite backed up, and were even taking detours) around my walk home, and all I could hear were the rotors (is that the right word?) of the helicoptors that were circling overhead. At one point, it looked as if a helicopter was going to hit the DND building it was flying so close. Oh well, it made me really appreciate how lucky we are to live in Canada where this is more an exception to the norm than the norm.

Anywho, back to the snow, I'm glad that it's snowing, even though it makes for yucky driving conditions, but now that I am a student, I don't necessarily have to drive as much, so that's good :)

No comments: