Friday, January 28, 2005

Books

I seem to be addicted to books, and fortunately for my schoolwork, I only have a limited number of non-school books at my disposal. The rest of my "leisure" books are back at my parent's place, which is really fortunate. If all of my books were at my disposal, I don't think that I would get anything done.

I'm not sure how many people actually read my blog, but I'm going to start recommended books that I think are really good, and I'm going to start with a book that I actually read last semester for an assignment and I have just re-read because well I ran out of other books to read.

This book is called "A Test of Will" and it is an auto-biographic look of Warren Macdonald's extraordinary story of survival. This book tells the inspiring story of Warren's journey to reclaim his life after a tragic accident while climbing Mount Bowen on Hinchinbrook Island, off the east coast of Australia. I really enjoyed this book as it made me take a step back and realize that you can't take anything/one in your life for granted and that we should really treasure all of the special gifts in your life because you never know what is going to happen. I own a copy of the book, and have registered it on BookCrossing so that when I lend out the book, people will hopefully post up what they thought about the book, just so I can see how it affects other people.

I'm not sure if I have ever told anyone about BookCrossing, but it is a pretty cool website that allows you to track your books if you ever let them go into the wild. I think that it is a very interesting concept because it allows you to share your books with other people (if you want to) or release your book out into the wild by leaving it anywhere for someone to pick up. I've decided that I'm going to release some books when I go on vacation just to see where they end up. (hopefully they won't end up in the trash).

Anywho, 17 days left before we go to Mexico! I can't wait...it's way too cold in Ottawa right now, but it's great for winterlude because that means the canal will be nice and frozen, hopefully the temperature rises though, so people aren't too scared away by the cold.


No comments: