Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Lazy Daze

Well, I am glad that the holidays are over because I feel ready to go back to school. I am also excited about not having to feast every day, although I know that it is a luxery that no everyone can enjoy. I'm sure this will all change next week :)

On a more serious note, if you still have some extra dough after the holiday rush and are still feel generous, you might be interested in donating to the help with the aid in the wake of the South and SouthEast Asia Disaster. If you donate to any of the following organizations before Jan 11, the Canadian Government will match your gift:
Canadian Red Cross, World Vision, Doctors without Borders, Oxfam Canada, CARE Canada, UNICEF Canada, Development and Peace, and Save the Children Canada.

This past week has been quite busy (or at least it has felt really busy). Monday night, Geofford and I went to Ryan's house for a potluck. We couldn't get our butts in gear, so we ended up getting there later then we wanted, but I did get to see my friends for a while, so that was nice. After dinner we both played in Derek Alexander's annual holiday tournament, which started at 9pm and ran until 3am. The first game was highly anticipated because Geofford's cousins Cassie and Eliza were playing on the other team - White, and Pierre - Cassie's boyfriend was playing on our team Blue. During Christmas dinner there was a lot of slagging happening, although most of it was between Geofford and Pierre, but in the end team Blue was victorious (although some of the players that were supposed to play on team White never showed up...but whatever we won) It was also fun because Geofford's cousins: Charlie and John showed up to cheer. We taught them how to slag properly at Christmas dinner - using the requisite phrases - "Not a Thrower" and "Crowd wants a hammer", but we couldn't hear any of their slags because the music drowned out their slags. We were guaranteed three games that night, but our team managed to win all of our games, and during our bye before the Semis, I decided to pick up with purple to help them out, which ended up quite badly, as I layed out and ended up scraping my leg, which at the time didn't feel too bad, but got worse over the holidays. Team Blue ended up losing to Team Purple (I should really check to see who I will be playing for before volunteering) in the semi final, which was good because it was 2am, and most of us were cold and very, very tired.

Tuesday lunch time, after not getting enough sleep, I met up with some Shad friends - Adrienne, Allan, and Xavier for dim sum. Betty, Allan's fiance, noted that it was interesting that we were all so close considering that we only spent a month together over 10 years ago, but I guess Shad really brings people together. Tuesday night, Geofford and I went to dinner at my Godparents' house with my parents and some friends of family. As usual, there was too much good food, so I was quite full. We tried to have an early night as we were going snowboarding the next morning with the team (seVen). I ended up not having a very good night as the scrape on my leg got quite bad and kept me up most of the night.

In the end, I did not snowboard on Wednesday because I was too sore and I was afraid that I would end up falling and opening up the wound more. I did accompany Geofford to Edelweiss and was a "Snow Bunny/Mom" in the chalet the whole day. It took Geoff about an hour to get his lift ticket, and he only got in a couple runs before lunch when he was going to meet Marcus. Fortunately I was there, and Geoff ended up spending a few more minutes inside - instead of rushing back out to the hill, so he ended up meeting up with Marc and his girlfriend Leanne, and they were able to board all together. I ended up finishing Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix that day and also got some ideas on how to paint things. So I thought that was quite productive. That night, we met the team at Lonestar and there was a pretty good turnout considering it was during the holidays, which is generally a busy time. Afterwards, Evan, Marcus, Leanne, Geofford and I went to MacLaren's to play pool. Leanne and I found out that the hot brown cow, is not bad considering the waitress could only heat it up by microwaving it, but it didn't stay too hot for too long, which was unfortunate.

Thursday the 30th turned out to be a pretty lazy day. I was still pretty sore so I decided to bail on curling, and Geofford was also sore, but from snowboarding, so he also didn't attend. From the sounds of it, curling was pretty one-sided so I don't know if our presence would have made a big difference. We ended up going to Luke's place in the evening so the boys and the brave girls could play Halo 2. It was a pretty cool set-up with 2 PS2s and 2 TVs going, and usually 7-8 players yelling at the tvs. Although I didn't play the game, I got to play with Catherine, and I also got to knit. In the end, my 3rd attempt at knitting a purple hat didn't work out so well. When unravelling that hat, it turns out that I could have fit the hat around my waist...so it might have been a little too big :)

New Years was quiet, which was nice. Although we were invited to Mike and Arlene's for a "fancy" party, we ended up just going to my Aunt Anita's for dinner with my family - it was nice to see my mom after she was away for a few weeks in Hong Kong, and then Damian, Geoff and I went back to my apartment to watch Kill Bill: Vol 2 with a brief pause around midnight to see the ball drop on Times Square.

I have finally finished my 4th attempt at my purple hat (finished it last night) and it fits perfectly (well it fits well enough that I can sew a band of fleece in to make it warmer and fit a little better :) and now I am getting ready to go back to school on Thursday...

Hope everyone else had a fun holiday season! And if you get a chance, come to Ottawa - it's not as cold here as you think ;)




No comments: