Monday, April 18, 2005

Cabane à Sucre

Melissa organized a trip to the Sucrerie Le Palais Gommé (this is the satellite map of the place) in L'Ange-Gardien (Quebec) over the weekend. It was a lot of fun, Geofford and I got to meet up with Melissa, Steve, and Tanya - who we met in Mexico for Rachel and Clayton's wedding. I also got to meet Nick - Tracy's new boyfriend as they came along too.

Fortunately, I was very hungry because they served up a great meal. We had pea soup to start, which was quite tasty, and the feast came out onto the table. After the soup was cleared from the table: bacon, sausages, ham, potatoes, eggs (it looked like a pie), and beans were placed in stainless steel bowls on the table. It was a huge feast. The bacon wasn't normal bacon (see picture at left), but it was a lot thicker and harder, and it was called "les oreilles de crisse". After the main courses, we were allowed to choose our dessert, which was a choice of: cake with maple topping, pancake, or a sugar tart. I chose the cake and it was delicious. Nick being the smart one, took two desserts. I was very jealous because although I was really full, I would have liked to try another dessert. :)

After lunch, we were too full to get our maple taffy or "tire" as they call it in French, so we decided to go on a horse ride. At first I thought that this horse ride would be on a horse, but it turned out to be a horse drawn wagon. It wasn't all that long, but Steve kept us laughing the entire time, so it was quite amusing. We got a little tour of the farm, but we never saw any maple trees, so we were unsure if they actually made maple syrup at this sugar bush.

Despite being full, we had to indulge on the maple taffy or "tire sur la neige". Basically they take over-boiled maple syrup (in our case it was microwaved...) and pour it over snow in thin strips. After a few seconds, we took a popsicle stick and rolled the sticky taffy onto the stick. It's super sticky but very sweet and yummy. I'm showing off my maple taffy in the picture to the left. We got two of these maple taffy, and I'm not sure if I could have eaten another as they were so sweet.

All in all, the trip to the Cabane à Sucre was good. Good times with good food and good people. Can't wait to go again next spring!

Note: All pictures posted by: Posted by Hello The picture of Geofford and I was taken by Steve Wallace.

1 comment:

The Complimenting Commenter said...

That sounds like you had a great time. Hanging out with friends is the best! Nice post.