Sunday, April 03, 2005

The end of an era...

I know that I am supposed to be working on my paper, but the news of Pope John Paul II's death has really hit me. I knew that he was gravely ill and his death was imminent, but I was still surprised to hear about his death while I was driving to my parents' house for dinner last night.

It seems appropriate that it was raining so hard last night as catholics and many other people were mourning his death. Although I mistimed my trip to Rome in 2001 and was unable to celebrate mass at St. Peter's with the pope, I was lucky to have been in his presence at an open air mass in 1984 in Ottawa and also at a few occasions during World Youth Day 2002 in Toronto.

I am having trouble holding back tears as I am reading different articles that describe his life. I am sure that the cardinals will have a tough time choosing Karol Józef Wojtyła's successor, but hopefully this next pope will be as influential and special as Pope John Paul II.

(I will try and post up some pictures that I took of the pope when I was at WYD in Toronto when I can get them scanned in)

Back to work...almost there...the presentation is almost complete, and the paper is 2/3 of the way done...2 more sleeps.

No comments: